2022 PhD Research Associate
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver concrete, long-term results by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. By putting theory into practice, we have become a leader in alternative strategies and an innovator in traditional portfolio management since 1998.
At AQR, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration, and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
AQR Capital Management is seeking Research Associates to join our team of professionals and focus on our proprietary strategies related to global stock selection, asset allocation, risk management and trading. Candidates should be motivated and enthusiastic about implementing new ideas and are expected to be hands-on and self-sufficient in conducting all aspects of research projects. The role will involve collaboration with other researchers, portfolio managers, risk managers and traders to develop new and improve current investment strategies. Your responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Perform statistical and economic research using financial data to develop new, and improve current investment strategies in collaboration with existing research teams
- Conduct research on various aspects of the implementation of investment strategies such as trading cost models, risk models, optimization, and portfolio construction
- Add features to proprietary research system to implement new research ideas
- Participate in the design and development of research infrastructure for the purpose of conducting economic and statistical research
What You’ll Bring
- 2022 Ph.D. candidate from top program with degree in scientific or quantitative discipline; Finance, Economics, Operations Research, Applied Math, Statistics preferred
- Demonstrated interest in the financial industry with a strong understanding of global financial markets and economic fundamentals
- Experience conducting empirical research, including the cleaning, structuring, and analyzing of large data sets
- Strong background in econometrics or statistics
- Knowledge of optimization methods
- Coding experience in Python, R, C++, or Matlab required
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong presentation skills and ability to discuss and explain involved concepts in both verbal and written form
- Experience with academic research publication process strongly preferred
Who You Are
- Mature and thoughtful, with the ability to thrive within a collaborative, team-oriented culture
- Committed to intellectual integrity, with a high degree of ethics
- Hard-working and eager to learn in a highly intellectual, innovative environment
- Well-organized, detail-oriented; able to multi-task and keep track of various deadlines
AQR mandates that U.S. employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/VET/DISABILITY
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.