Researcher - Discretionary Macro
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment management firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver superior, long-term results for our clients by looking past market noise to identify and isolate what matters most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. Our focus on practical insights and analysis has made us leaders in alternative and traditional strategies since 1998.
At AQR, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration, and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
AQR is looking to hire a Researcher/PM to join the Discretionary Macro team, within the Macro and Multi-Strategy Group. The Macro and Multi Strategy group focuses on all aspects of research and portfolio management for a range of the firm’s alternative funds including Managed Futures, Global Macro, Style Premia, Hedge Fund Risk Premia and Absolute Return. The Discretionary Macro team works with the firm’s systematic researchers to jointly manage macro portfolios and the firm’s flagship Global Macro Strategy. The team enhances AQR’s quantitative approach with qualitative analysis of macroeconomic fundamentals impacting a broad range of asset classes to implement discretionary trades, model and manage event risk, and identify potential new areas of research.
- Conduct primary analysis of fundamental drivers of macro assets, including changes in monetary policy, fiscal policy, and geopolitical developments
- Develop understanding of the team’s investment philosophy and work towards an eventual ability to contribute to idea generation
- Contribute to Discretionary portfolio implementation processes, including trade sizing, portfolio rebalancing, and instrument selection
- Participate in the preparation of presentation materials related to Discretionary portfolios and the team’s views on the macro environment
- Develop an exceptional understanding of AQR’s systematic strategies to facilitate collaboration with other research teams
What You’ll Bring
- A Bachelor’s degree from a top university
- 4-7 years of relevant post-undergraduate experience at an investment management or asset management firm, a consulting firm or investment bank
- Familiarity with the structure and behavior of currency, fixed income, equity, and commodity markets
- Familiarity with macroeconomic concepts and data
- High degree of intellectual curiosity
- Proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel required; familiarity with SQL and/or Python a plus
Who You Are
- Hard working and eager to learn in a highly intellectual, collaborative environment
- Well-organized and detail-oriented
- Enthusiastic about developing and implementing ideas
- Self-starter, able to work autonomously as well as within a team
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of finance and the investment management industry
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/VET/DISABILITY
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.