Multi Strategy - Researcher
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment management firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver superior, long-term results for our clients by looking past market noise to identify and isolate what matters most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. Our focus on practical insights and analysis has made us leaders in alternative and traditional strategies since 1998.
At AQR, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
The Macro and Multi Strategy (“MMS”) team focuses on all aspects of research and portfolio management for a range of the firm’s alternative funds including Managed Futures, Global Macro, Alternative Risk Premia, and Absolute Return. The portfolio research team focuses on the day-to-day management of portfolios, portfolio construction research, the design and implementation of portfolios, new product development, client driven customization and thought leadership.
AQR is seeking a talented Portfolio Researcher within our MMS team to work on research and portfolio management in the various funds that are managed by the MMS team. The role offers a unique opportunity to work in several different areas within quantitative research and portfolio management spanning multiple asset classes including single name equities, equity indices, fixed income, currencies, commodities. The portfolio researcher will work on a wide variety of projects utilizing the candidate’s economic and financial knowledge, as well as quantitative and technical skills. Examples of research projects are projects that focus on portfolio construction and strategy design to best leverage quantitative signals, improving implementation and capture of model performance in traded portfolios, and developing new and improving existing fund designs. The professional will collaborate with several other groups within the firm, including asset class specialists within Research, Risk, Portfolio Implementation, Trading, Ops, and Business Development.
Researchers will become intimately familiar with quantitative asset management and the investment philosophy which has driven AQR to be an industry leader. In addition to the required technical skills, a successful candidate should be enthusiastic, mature and have a desire to learn and make a real impact. Exploring research topics, engaging in portfolio management, contributing to bespoke portfolio design for clients, and maintaining and improving the numerous models managed by the team are some of the ways in which a strong candidate may grow in responsibility and contribute to the evolution of AQR’s success.
What You’ll Bring
- B.S. degree from top institution in economics, finance, computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics, physics or another quantitative discipline.
- At least 1 year of experience working in a similar quantitative or technical environment
- Experience using programming skills to manipulate large financial data sets for empirical research. Strong skills in one or more high-level languages required, with Python preferred.
- Strong quantitative skills with demonstrated understanding of mathematics, probability, statistics and linear algebra
- Strong understanding of economic and financial concepts and demonstrated intuition around applying these concepts in a quantitative environment
- Demonstrated ability to express and articulate ideas and thought processes in both verbal and written form
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
Who You Are
- Mature and thoughtful, with the ability to operate within a collaborative, team-oriented culture
- Committed to intellectual integrity, with a high degree of ethics
- Hard working and eager to learn in a highly intellectual, innovative environment
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, with strong communication skills; able to multi-task and keep track of various deadlines
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/VET/DISABILITY
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.