Global Stock Selection - Strategy Analyst/Associate
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment management firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver superior, long-term results for our clients by seeking to filter out market noise to identify and isolate what matters most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. Underpinning this philosophy is an unrelenting commitment to excellence in technology — powering our insights and analysis. This unique combination has made us leaders in alternative and traditional strategies since 1998.
AQR takes a systematic, research-driven approach, applying quantitative tools to process fundamental information and manage risk. Our clients include institutional investors, such as pension funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations and sovereign wealth funds, as well as financial advisors.
About The Team
The Global Stock Selection (GSS) group is responsible for the portfolio management and research of AQR's strategies related to individual equities and equity-related securities across all global liquid markets. Our models are applied to market-neutral long/short portfolios in AQR hedge funds as well as to long-only, relaxed-constraint and low volatility portfolios.
Within GSS, the Strategy team is central to communication with and support of our existing and prospective investors, and often serves as the external face of equity portfolio management. As a whole, the team educates investors and prospects on our strategies, whether through written answers to client questions, new business presentations, or review discussions of existing investments. In addition, the team is involved in different stages of the investment process, including new account onboarding and performance monitoring and analysis. The team interacts closely with the rest of the firm including, most notably, business development, research, and portfolio implementation, as well as trading, legal, compliance, risk and marketing. Through these collaborations, the team has in-depth knowledge of the firm’s equity strategies, and members are expected to be in-house strategy experts. The Strategy team also contributes to product management, including competitive positioning and pricing of our strategies, and potential development of new strategies intended to address investor needs. GSS Strategy is an integral part of initiatives to create, manage, and sell AQR products.
We are seeking an exceptionally talented individual to join our GSS Strategy team. This role will give end-to-end exposure to the portfolio management process for long/short and long-only products, as well as opportunities to work with senior investment professionals. Responsibilities include:
- Client communication:
- Prepare client-ready written responses to investment questions spanning a variety of topics: e.g., investment philosophy, investment process, performance and performance drivers, portfolio characteristics,
- Prepare review materials on quarterly and yearly performance
- Create, review, and approve presentations for pitching new business
- Help organize and run analyses for RFPs
- Portfolio monitoring:
- Analyze portfolio exposures and performance using existing tools, and contribute to the development of new monitoring tools
- Conduct custom portfolio analysis to address questions from clients or senior investment professionals
- Present portfolio analysis results to product and portfolio teams
- Build, maintain and present competitor analysis reports
- Sample Projects:
- Analyze how and why specific investment themes, or industries or country exposures contributed to overall performance
- Create pro-forma portfolios and assess their alpha contribution after controlling for standard factors such as value, size and momentum
- Potential opportunity to contribute to presentations and white papers on a broad spectrum of topics (e.g. specific products, quant concepts, market environment)
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in a business or quantitative discipline
- 0 – 4 years of experience in the financial industry; knowledge of equity trading strategies preferred
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with maturity, credibility, and clarity
- Strong technical aptitude with demonstrated experience and knowledge of programming languages (Python and SQL strongly preferred)
- Strong analytical skills
- Proficiency in Excel is required
Who You Are
- Well-organized, detail-oriented; able to multi-task and keep track of various deadlines in a high-stakes environment involving time-sensitive deliverables
- Mature and thoughtful, with the ability to operate in a collaborative, team-oriented culture
- Highest level of integrity, empathy and character
- Creative, resourceful, and driven - someone who does not grow complacent with success
- Hard-working and eager to learn in a highly intellectual, innovative environment
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/VET/DISABILITY
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.