ESG Researcher - Vice President
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver concrete, long-term results by looking past market noise to identify and isolate the factors that matter most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. By putting theory into practice, we have become a leader in alternative strategies and an innovator in traditional portfolio management since 1998.
At AQR, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration, and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
AQR Capital Management is seeking a talented, experienced Researcher to join our team focusing on implementing ESG (Environment, Governance, and Social), including using ESG information to improve risk/return profile of our proprietary strategies, building novel measures of ESG, and possibly working on thought pieces in the area. The successful candidate may have a chance to influence the design of strategies that seek specific ESG objectives across global stock selection, fixed income, and asset allocation. Candidates should be motivated and enthusiastic about implementing new ideas and are expected to be hands-on and self-sufficient in conducting all aspects of research projects. ESG is an integral part of AQR’s broader research program, and the successful candidate will work closely with other researchers, portfolio managers, risk management professionals, developers, etc. to help ensure the execution of that program and its implementation in new and current investment strategies.
Your responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Perform statistical and economic research to develop new and improve current ESG alpha and risk signals
- Conduct research on various aspects of the implementation of ESG considerations in investment strategies, including on custom solutions AQR may offer to ESG-focused clients
- Remain up to date on ESG trends and developments, and help disseminate key findings within the organization
- Contribute to AQR’s thought leadership in ESG, including work on whitepapers and presenting research findings to internal and external audiences
- Generate meeting material for both internal and external audiences
- Partner with Business Development colleagues on ESG-related client requests
- Source ESG data including vendor due diligence
- Synthesize industry whitepapers, manager databases, and additional resources to inform new areas
What You’ll Bring
- Advanced Degree in Math, Statistics, Economics, Econometrics, Operations Research or Finance
- 5+ years’ of related experience covering systematic research within in a similar financial environment. While the successful candidate may have prior experience in any public asset class (equity, fixed income, macro), experience in multiple asset classes will be an advantage.
- Strong understanding of the various facets of ESG, with a grasp of the economic and financial concepts around applying ESG in a quantitative environment
- Experience using programming skills to manipulate large financial data sets for empirical research. Strong skills in one or more high-level languages required, with Python preferred
- Demonstrated ability to express and articulate ideas and thought processes in both verbal and written form
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
Who You Are
- Mature and thoughtful, with the ability to operate within a collaborative, team-oriented culture
- Committed to intellectual integrity, with a high degree of ethics
- Hard working and eager to learn in a highly intellectual, innovative environment
- Well- organized, detail- oriented, with strong communication skills; able to multi-task and keep track of various deadlines
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/VET/DISABILITY
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.