Quantitative Research Development - VP
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment management firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver superior long-term results by looking past market noise to identify and isolate the factors that matter most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. Underpinning this philosophy is an unrelenting commitment to excellence in technology — powering our insights and analysis. This unique combination has made us leaders in alternative and traditional strategies since 1998.
AQR takes a systematic, research-driven approach, applying quantitative tools to process fundamental information and manage risk. Our clients include institutional investors, such as pension funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations and sovereign wealth funds, as well as financial advisors.
Technology has long been essential ingredient to our success, and as a Tech Lead in Quantitative Research Development (QRD) you’ll be knee-deep in mission critical challenges that make our investment ideas a reality. Collaborating side by side with researchers and portfolio analysts, you’ll design and build proprietary systems that drive both our research work and our production investment process.
As a Tech Lead in Quantitative Research Development, you will build or extend our:
- Data ingestion and validation engine
- Signal generation and portfolio construction framework
- Backtesters and related historical simulation tools
- Scalable, AWS-based storage and computing infrastructure
You will partner with a global team of engineers and researchers for successful product delivery. You’ll be a hands-on leader, expected to make significant individual contributions along with guiding and mentoring junior team members.
What You’ll Bring
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Computational Finance, Data Science, or related discipline
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Ability and desire to develop in Python (our primary language for research-owned systems)
- Expertise with system design and architecture
- Ability to lead technology initiatives through the development lifecycle and to manage workstreams within overall project
- Ability to guide and mentor junior team members
- Outstanding communication skills
- Professional or academic background in quantitative finance
- Experience with NumPy / pandas or similar quantitative stack is a plus
- Demonstrated contributions to open-source software is also a plus
- An aptitude for mathematics, finance and econometrics is desired
Who You Are
- Mature, thoughtful, and collaborative
- Hard-working and eager to learn
- Committed to intellectual integrity and transparency
- Motivated by the transformational effects of technology-at-scale
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.