Portfolio Implementation Engineer - Analyst
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver concrete, long-term results by looking past market noise to identify and isolate the factors that matter most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. By putting theory into practice, we have become a leader in alternative strategies and an innovator in traditional portfolio management since 1998.
At AQR, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
The process of turning quantitative insights into actionable investment strategies is a critical component of AQR’s success, and as a Portfolio Implementation Engineer you play a significant role in driving this process. Your work will also be crucial into enhancing our proprietary portfolio rebalancing platform, a key differentiator that drives the success of our systematic investment process. This is a highly selective, deeply technical team that collaborates with researchers and portfolio managers, while simultaneously exploring new technologies that advance the capabilities of our platform.
As a Portfolio Implementation Engineer you will build or extend our:
- Proprietary portfolio construction and implementation processes
- Complex optimization problem setups and end-to-end strategy simulations
- Highly flexible and scalable rebalancing platform supporting all asset classes
- Portfolio Implementation APIs leveraging cloud computing and microservices
- High-performance optimization engine and supporting algorithms and tools
- Bespoke technology solutions that satisfy the needs of specific strategies
What You’ll Bring
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related discipline
- 2 - 4 years of experience in software development
- Ability to code in Python (& some experience with Scala highly desirable / Java experience a plus)
- Willingness to code in multiple languages
- Ability and/or experience creating scalable and flexible applications
- Experience with source control (Git) and systems development lifecycle
- Solid understanding of cloud development including Software as a Service (SaaS) model and modern application design
- Broad understanding of mathematics and/or statistics
- Experience / Knowledge of Quantitative Asset Management a plus (basic understanding & strong interest minimal)
- Experience with Spring and AWS is also a plus
- Strong individual contributor (with potential / ability for advancement)
Who You Are
- Team player with very strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Mature, thoughtful, and a natural fit for a collaborative, team-oriented culture
- Hard-working and eager to learn in a fast-paced, innovative environment
- Committed to intellectual integrity, transparency, and openness
- Motivated by the transformational effects of technology-at-scale
- Driven to learn new technologies and apply those learnings to add business value
We believe that the next innovation to transform our business could come from anyone at AQR. Expect to be recognized not only for your diligence and hard work today, but for your vision for tomorrow. We are mathematicians, computer scientists, engineers and artists, passionate about advancing financial research and pushing the limits of today’s technology.
PI Engineers usually work as part of a project team to design, develop, and maintain applications and integrations based on requests from the business. This individual will use industry-leading development practices such as Agile, messaging, and test-driven development approaches to complete projects and deliver solutions. The position expects foundational knowledge of modern application development strategies with a focus on backend development and data integration. This role is expected to require fairly minimal supervision of day to day tasks. Expectations that individual will provide strong analysis, problem-solving, and execution capabilities. Ideal engineers possess broad technical knowledge and have ability to collaborate across teams and with the business.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with users and the business to perform analysis, gather requirements, and develop robust solutions to fulfill business needs as well as develop tests and assist with QA/QE processes. This includes identifying problems, recommending solutions, breaking down work into tasks, and providing regular updates and activity tracking.
- Follow development processes for source control, building, deploying, review, and change control. Collaborate with other team members to improve standards and best practices related to integration design, development process, and data governance.
- Critical skills include troubleshooting, problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work together with project and development teams.
- Create and maintain wikis, run books, and design documentation.
- Participate in code and technical reviews.
- Serve as a resource and mentor for junior team members.
- Available to perform occasional weeknight and weekend support of deployments and testing as needed.
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.