Front Office Data Engineer- VP
About AQR Capital India
AQR is a global investment firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver concrete, long-term results by looking past market noise to identify and isolate the factors that matter most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. By putting theory into practice, we have become a leader in alternative strategies and an innovator in traditional portfolio management since 1998.
At AQR India, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration, and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
As a senior software engineer in Front Office Data Engineering - Portfolio Solutions Group (PSG) you will support and develop systems and tools to empower our Portfolio Solutions Group (PSG).
The Portfolio Solutions Group within our firm is responsible for engaging with clients and the wider investment community. They provide customized and bespoke analysis for clients (e.g., analysis of pension fund risk). The Portfolio Solution Group also develops original research and produces white papers on investment topics that are published internally and externally.
You will empower PSG by:
- Taking engineering lead responsibility for ensuring the current PSG processes function correctly and incidents are resolved quickly by the engineering team.
- Driving the development of python libraries and web services to give PSG quick, easy, and reliable access to the wealth of data available within the firm.
- Working with the PSG Team to identify requirements and prioritize change requests
- Being both hands on in design and development of changes as well as providing oversight and mentoring to more junior team members
- Building and supporting PSG processes used to generate data that will feed into other systems and reports within the firm
- Upgrading existing code to leverage cloud computing and cutting-edge visualizations
- Providing intuitive systematic access to the PSG data for other areas of the firm
- Updating and improving legacy python scripts to Python3
- Developing solutions to address input data quality and reliability issues so they can be more efficiently managed
- Interacting directly with the PSG team on a frequent basis and helping them to respond quickly to urgent client needs
What You’ll Bring
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related discipline
- 8+ years of hands-on experience working as a lead developer within a team supporting one or more business system
- Experience leading and mentoring a team of developers to deliver high quality “enterprise grade” code in python
- Extensive experience performing design and code reviews
- Proven track record managing projects plans and driving projects to completion, tracking progress, and reporting status.
- Ability to adapt to changing demands and reprioritize work accordingly
- Experience in developing data-oriented business application in Python using REST framework
- Experience with data analysis using libraries like Numpy and Pandas
- Experienced using Relational Databases (SQL)
- Experience in communicating with business stake holders and gathering requirements
- Experience in working on a service-orientated architecture SOA
- Outstanding coding, debugging, and analytical skills
- Experience working in a large python codebase
- Experience with conda and docker would be desirable
- Experience with source control (Git) and systems development lifecycle
- An interest in quantitative finance (no finance / trading experience required)
Who You Are
- Mature, thoughtful, and a natural fit for a collaborative, team-oriented culture
- Hard-working and eager to learn in a fast-paced, innovative environment
- Committed to intellectual integrity, transparency, and openness
- Someone that is self-confident and not afraid to keep asking questions to gain a full understanding
- Have a desire to deliver business value with a ‘Can Do’ attitude
- You are prepared to take ownership of projects and responsibility for driving timely deliverables
- Someone that is not afraid to take on challenging problems
- Interested in understanding our firm’s business needs and collaborating with our users to satisfy those business needs.
- A dependable person that is respected and admired by your team and colleagues
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.