Vice President - Platform Engineer - Linux
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment management firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver superior, long-term results for our clients by seeking to filter out market noise to identify and isolate what matters most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. Underpinning this philosophy is an unrelenting commitment to excellence in technology — powering our insights and analysis. This unique combination has made us leaders in alternative and traditional strategies since 1998.
AQR takes a systematic, research-driven approach, applying quantitative tools to process fundamental information and manage risk. Our clients include institutional investors, such as pension funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations and sovereign wealth funds, as well as financial advisors.
The Engineering department at AQR Capital Management is seeking an experienced Linux system engineer to join the Platform Engineering team. This position allows plenty of opportunity for innovative thinking and designing solutions that directly address business needs. The successful candidate will have a wide array of technical experience in the Linux ecosystem, with a strong focus on RHEL and Amazon Linux. Comfort in working directly with business users –trading technology developers and Infrastructure teams – is a key aspect of this position.
- Research and recommend innovative products, services and solutions for both existing and emerging needs
- Improve system installation, configuration and decommission procedures; contribute to and maintain system standards; create and maintain documentation
- Manage the entire lifecycle of Linux systems: installation, configuration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and retirement/decommission
- Effectively resolve requests from developers and Infrastructure: new Linux desktop and server installations, software deployments, troubleshooting connectivity issues, additional NFS file systems, et cetera
- Engage in periodic reviews image and container management and pipelines
- Review interoperability to ensure integration with other key systems
- Maintain and update our file and block storage platforms
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 10 years information technology, with some experience in the financial industry preferred
- Demonstrated experience in effectively managing RHEL-based Linux systems
- Experience with Ansible or other Configuration Management solutions is preferred
- Strong scripting or programming background is required (Python preferred)
- Familiarity with CI/CD tools preferred (Jenkins, Bamboo, TeamCity)
- Experience with AWS or other cloud solutions is preferred
- Significant exposure to Infrastructure and Application monitoring tools (New Relic, DataDog, SumoLogic, etc)
- Experience with container and orchestration technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos)
- Experience managing file and block-based storage platforms (Netapp, Pure, EMC) is preferred
- Strong understanding of networking concepts (IP addressing, DHCP and DNS, NTP, multicast routing, 802.1q VLAN tagging) and diagnostic tools (tcpdump/ethtool)
Life at AQR
AQR offers generous benefits: 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Perks include health and wellness allowances, meditation programs, onsite breakfasts and lunches and stocked kitchens with seasonal treats.
Employees participate in a range of connectivity and community building events & experiences the firm offers: Book Clubs, Research Colloquiums, baseball outings, Star Wars premiere, our Food Truck Social and volunteer opportunities.
Learning & Development
QUANTA, the firm's learning and development program, offers both professional and personal growth opportunities through 350+ classes per year.